About Our Plastic Surgery Center
With our two fully equipped operating rooms, Galumbeck Plastic Surgery is located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Serving Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth and other cities in Hampton Roads, our plastic surgery center is fully accredited by American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF).
We use physician anesthesiologists. Dr. Galumbeck, our anesthesiologists, and Registered Nurses all have advanced training and certification in advanced cardiac life support (ACLS).
About Accreditation Of A Plastic Surgery Center
Established in 1980, the AAAASF ensures the highest quality patient care in the ambulatory surgery setting. To achieve this goal, every AAAASF accredited ambulatory surgery facility must meet stringent national standards for equipment, operating safety, personnel and surgeon credentials.
Furthermore, the AAAASF has designed an accrediting program to help provide patients with the assurance of safety and quality in all aspects of their outpatient surgery experience.
As the leading accrediting organization, AAAASF has developed the systems to effectively monitor and implement the latest advances in outpatient care delivery-advances that directly benefit patients. Our Virginia Beach cosmetic surgery facility meets all of the AAAASF standards.
AAAASF Requirements For Accrediting A Plastic Surgery Center
All Plastic Surgery Centers must meet the following stringent guidelines to receive accreditation from the AAAASF:
- Comply with applicable local, state, and federal regulations including fire safety, sanitation and building codes for the protection of patients and medical personnel
- Utilize advanced instruments and monitoring devices for patient safety during surgery and in the recovery period
- Adhere to federal laws and regulations affecting their operation such as OSHA blood-borne pathogens standards, hazardous waste standards, and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Only surgeons who have privileges to perform the same surgical procedures in an accredited hospital may perform surgical procedures
- Surgeons must meet the standards, such as peer-review and continuing medical education, required for operating in an accredited hospital.
- Surgeons must be certified (or eligible for certification) in surgical specialties recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.
In addition, our outpatient surgical facility ensures that:
- All surgical procedures are performed entirely by Dr. Galumbeck, a board certified plastic surgeon, specializing in cosmetic surgery.
- R.N.s are present throughout the preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative periods.
- A physician anesthesiologist (M.D.) is present at all times during the operative procedures, and performs all of the administration of anesthesia.
- The type of anesthesia used for all procedures is intravenous sedation. Although our patients are asleep, they are breathing on their own, without the use of anesthetic gases. This allows for a safe and fast recovery. Therefore, patients are able to go home about one hour after the surgical procedure is performed.
In conclusion, AAAASF accreditation is today’s best assurance of safety, quality and efficiency in the outpatient surgery environment So, for your plastic surgery in the Hampton Roads area, make sure that the surgery center where your procedure will be performed is AAAASF accredited.