Researching breast implant options on your own can be overwhelming. With so many types and so much research to sift through how do you know you are making the right choice at your plastic surgeon’s office? Dr. Matthew Galumbeck has the expertise you need when choosing a breast implant. At Galumbeck Plastic Surgery, we are dedicated to providing all the options you need to get the results you want. To get you started we put together a short guide on breast implant styles and what they mean for your long-term results.
Breast Implant Basics: Types Of Breast Implants
There are three types of implants you need to know about, saline, silicone gel, and structured. All of these options have solid silicone shells to hold the filling. They each offer a unique look and feel, as well as differing rates of complications. At your breast augmentation consultation, you can see and feel each type to help you make your choice. Dr. Galumbeck also created this video to explain the difference between the implants.
- Saline Breast Implants: These implants are filled with saline (sterile saltwater solution), and as Dr. Galumbeck explains, “if it were to leak saltwater is absorbed by the body, so there is no health risks. The disadvantage is that because it is saline it’s not very dense, and the implant can cause rippling and doesn’t have a very natural feel.”
- Silicone Gel Breast Implants: Silicone gel is a thick, sticky substance that gives these implants a smoother and more natural feel. However, Dr. Galumbeck tells us “the silicone gel implants can leak and the patient doesn’t know – it’s called a silent leak or a silent rupture. And in studies done by the FDA they found that the instance of silent rupture, depending on the implant type, is anywhere from 17-20%. The FDA has recommended that women obtain MRIs every three years to make sure their implant hasn’t leaked or ruptured.”
- IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implant: The newest breast implant option is the IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant. It is a saline-filled implant with an internal structure of two chambers and baffled shells to control the flow of saline. The result is an implant that offers both the peace of mind of saline, and the natural look and feel of silicone gel. Dr. Galumbeck offers this new technology because, “it really has the advantages of the look and feel of the silicone gel implant, but it has the safety of the saline implant.”
More Breast Implant Options To Consider
Within the categories of saline, silicone gel, and structured there are a few other options you need to consider.
- Breast Implant Shape: If you choose silicone gel breast implants you can pick a round implant or a shaped, “teardrop”, one that is narrow at the top and fuller at the bottom. Some women prefer the profile of a shaped implant, however they can encounter complications. Unlike round implants, if a shaped implant rotates it will be noticable and may require surgery to correct. Round and shaped silicone gel breast implants also require a longer incision because they are prefilled. IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implants are round, and filled after placement so that the incision can be smaller.
- Breast Implant Texture: Some saline and silicone gel types of breast implants have a texture on the surface of the silicone shell. This is to prevent the implant from moving or rippling. However, recent research suggests long-term complications may arise from textured implants and many plastic surgeons do not offer them anymore. The IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implant is a smooth surfaced implant.
- Breast Implant Profile: Breast implants can be high or moderate profile. High profile implants have a fuller look and higher projection while moderate profile implants are more subtle. IDEAL IMPLANT Structured Breast Implants offer a high profile, but because they are filled during the procedure your surgeon will have some control over desired fullness and asymmetry.
Finding The Perfect Breast Implant With Dr. Matthew Galumbeck
At Galumbeck Plastic Surgery, we offer all of the breast implant options so that you can find the perfect fit for your body and your lifestyle. Dr. Galumbeck will work closely with you to make sure you get the aesthetic results you want, and feel comfortable and confident with your choices. We will provide all the information you need to make an informed decision about your body. No woman should ever feel pressured into making such an important choice, and you can rest assured that you are in good hands at our office. Dr. Galumbeck has over 25 years of experience helping women find increased confidence. If you’re curious about types of breast implants, or any other cosmetic procedure contact our office for more information. Don’t wait to get started on your journey to a new you. Call Dr. Galumbeck today to set up your complimentary consultation. Simply call our office at 757-828-1726.
- Should You Get Tummy Tuck Surgery Near Virginia Beach? - May 20, 2019
- Liposuction In Virginia Beach: Is It Right For You? - May 10, 2019
- Educate Yourself On Breast Implant Safety And Revision Surgery - April 20, 2019
- How To Choose Between Breast Augmentation And Breast Lift Surgery In Virginia Beach - April 10, 2019
- Learn About The Top 5 Plastic Surgery Procedures From The Best Plastic Surgeon In Virginia Beach - January 20, 2019