It’s the New Year. It’s a time for making making resolutions, a time for bettering ourselves. Many of these resolutions aim to improve our health, our finances, and our appearances. Women and men may turn to plastic surgery to help them achieve their goals. Breast implants, liposuction, and tummy tucks are many of the most frequently performed procedures to change our appearance.
A recent study* from the department of Psychology at the the Ruhr University found that patients undergoing cosmetic plastic surgery had an overall positive outcome with an improved quality of life. Other measureable improvements included:
- Improved self esteem
- Improved self confidence
- Improvement in attitude
- Improvement in body image
Cosmetic surgery can have many positive effects. But before having cosmetic procedures you should consider the following:
1. What is the motivation for having the procedure performed?
2. Why have you decided to have the procedure performed at this particular time?
3. For whom are you doing the procedure?
4. How do you expect the procedure to change you?
5. What are your expectations of the results?
In addition to these questions remember safety and comfort throughout the process of cosmetic surgery will impact upon your results.
1. Is the person performing the procedure a board certified Plastic Surgeon?
2. Is the facility where the procedure is to be performed certified by a national accreditation board?
3. If sedation is used during the procedure, is an anesthesiologist administering the drugs and monitoring the patient?
4. Are you comfortable with the Plastic Surgeon and his or her staff?
Think about these questions and answer them honestly when considering cosmetic surgery. This can positively influence your decision for a new year and a new you.
*Margraf, J. “Well-Being From the Knife? Psychological Effects of Aesthetic Surgery.”Clinical Psychological Science (2013): 239-52. Print.
- Should You Get Tummy Tuck Surgery Near Virginia Beach? - May 20, 2019
- Liposuction In Virginia Beach: Is It Right For You? - May 10, 2019
- Educate Yourself On Breast Implant Safety And Revision Surgery - April 20, 2019
- How To Choose Between Breast Augmentation And Breast Lift Surgery In Virginia Beach - April 10, 2019
- Learn About The Top 5 Plastic Surgery Procedures From The Best Plastic Surgeon In Virginia Beach - January 20, 2019